Friday, March 4, 2011

Tournament of Books: My uninformed opinion on Matchup Two

Okay, here's an admission: I am not qualified to make a judgment on this round of the Morning News Tournament of Books. I haven't read either book in this matchup, and all I know of the judge is fifteen minutes of a movie adapted from her book. But I believe in the Tournament of Books and, in the spirit of the Internet, I intend to continue offering my half-informed opinion, in the hopes you find them amusing.

Round One, Matchup Two

Judging date: March 8.

Room, by Emma Donoghue, v. Bad Marie, by Marcy Dermansky

Judge: Jennifer Weiner.


Room, by Emma Donoghue
Okay, so, writing a novel in the voice of a five-year old is both cute and dangerous. And writing a novel about a woman trapped in a underground backyard bunker by a psychopath who rapes her nightly for seven years, and who fathered the child/narrator of the book is ... a bold choice. And writing both of them together is Room. I don't really feel like reading books based on horrific crimes, though the reviews agree that the boy-narrator keeps things light and innocent - and wouldn't you have to? Wouldn't you just have to slather on the sweetness and light to have any chance of being read? And does that mean Donoghue actually made some sugar-coating cheats when she wrote this book? I don't know - there are so many pitfalls in this book, if I read it I know I'll find at least five and quit in disgust. It reminds me of The Lovely Bones, in a way - a book I despised for its insipid sentimentality and horrendous prose. Reviews of Room have been stunningly good, however - The Boston Globe called it a modern classic, so Donoghue has touched a nerve, and found readers, so there's probably something here worth your time.

Bad Marie, by Marcy Dermansky
This is another high-concept book built around distasteful themes by an edgy young female author. Bad Marie is 30, and just released from prison. She drinks too much, which doesn't stop her from getting a job as a nanny (really!). She meets and has an adulterous affair with the author of her favorite book, moves to Paris, and has several other adventures. Publisher's Weekly gave this a tepid review, saying it relies too much on contrived coincidence to drive the plot, and that Marie's character is never fully developed. Reviewers on Amazon suggest its a good, fanciful romp that can be churned through in a couple hours. I read the first few pages on Amazon, and it seemed harmless, though Marie was less than admirable - drunk on the job as a nanny, emotionless since the death of her boyfriend; and soon to be on the lam with 2 and a half year old. One reviewer called this chick-noir. Good enough for me to stay away.

The Judge: Jennifer Weiner is one of the queens of Chick Lit. Her first book, Good in Bed, made splashes for starring an overweight woman (I know. What a culture.); her second, In Her Shoes, made news when the movie version starred Cameron Diaz. Last summer, she started a fuss when Jonathan Franzen made the cover of Time; Weiner accused the publishing industry of ignoring women, a debate that found further frenzy when VIDA published some stats that prove it. I don't know how putting her in charge of judging these two books will turn out, but her pick could be a fun read for many many reasons.

Summary: On first glance, these seem like odd books for a chick lit author to judge. On the other hand, they both have strong female characters, both would seem to an uninformed observer to implicitly condemn male authority, and are ultimately targeted to female readers. My guess is that Weiner, being a popular writer, will ultimately choose the book more in line with popular taste (i.e., the one that's sold more copies). I could be horribly, horribly wrong on all of this. That's what makes it fun!

My uninformed call: Room, by Emma Donoghue

No comments: