Monday, February 7, 2011

Skylab Sketch

I was in the library today, researching Skylab for a story I may or may not write. I got to sketching, partly because I'd forgotten my camera (and library card), and partly because I'm easily distracted. Here are the results. 

Skylab, as you may or may not know, was America's first attempt at an orbiting space station designed for extended human habitation. It was launched in May of 1973, and over the next ten months held three crews of astronauts who lived in the station for up to 84 days, conducting experiments and taking pictures. After they left Skylab for the last time, its orbit steadily deteriorated until in July of 1979, it re-entered the atmosphere, burning up and scattering itself over the Indian Ocean and parts of Australia. The resulting media circus was one of the seminal events of many a childhood, mine included. 

Keep up the good work, everyone, and we'll see you tomorrow!

-- Mike

No comments: