Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My feet in Times Square

The symbolic heart of New York City, Times Square is the intersection of Broadway with West 7th Street. It is also in the heart of the theater district and a classic tourist destination. On my first visit, I stayed in a tiny hotel/closet just two blocks from this area. The SuperShuttle from the airport made it from JFK to midtown Manhattan in 45 minutes. Also on board was a college kid from West Virginia, up for a day to see the Mountaineers play in the Big East basketball championship game; an hour later, still a half mile from Madison Square Garden, the kid got off and walked. Half an hour after that, I was dropped off at my hotel. The next morning I wandered, dazed, over streets I'd only seen on TV and movies. New York, being the most filmed city in the world, seemed a semi-familiar dreamscape, a return to a hometown I'd never been to. I started taking pictures of my feet as a way to prove there was a way to photograph New York in a way that I hadn't already seen. This is one result.

West Virginia lost to Syracuse, 68-59.

No comments: